Saturday 2 December 2017

Christmas arrangements for Lo-G ukulele

The low G tuning on a ukulele is a nice alternative for fingerpicking accompaniments to simple songs, but the vast majority of published material is for high-G ukuleles.

On this blog, I intend to publish some very simple fingerstyle arrangements of popular Christmas songs for the low-G ukulele.

I will only be using older music, now in the public domain, such as Christmas carols, rather than pop songs still under copyright restrictions.

The arrangements will take two forms: either as an accompaniment to another instrument or voice providing the melody (normally, I will use recorders, as my singing voice is very weak indeed), or as an instrumental solo in its own right.

All low-G arrangements can also be played on the low-D baritone ukulele or the top four strings of a guitar in standard tuning, but if played on open strings they will sound in a different key.

To play at notated pitch, you could put a capo on the fifth fret of your baritone uke or guitar. I will also provide transpositions for those instruments, but my sound files and videos will be made on my low-G uke.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Away in a manger

Away in a manger ... one of our most familiar carols, found in every Christmas anthology. ...but what is this? I don't know this tune!...